The hosts of the Great British Bake Off will step down when it moves from BBC1 to Channel 4, they have announced in a statement.
Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc, who present the show, will not be returning when it reappears on commercial television.
The show is to switch channels after Channel 4 agreed to pay makers Love Productions £75 million over three years for the rights to screen one of Britain’s most popular TV shows.
There has been no word yet from the judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.
A joint statement from Giedroyc and Perkins said: “We were very shocked and saddened to learn yesterday evening that Bake Off will be moving from its home.
“We made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was.
“The BBC nurtured the show from its infancy and helped give it its distinctive warmth and charm, growing it from an audience of two million to nearly 15 at its peak.
“We’ve had the most amazing time on Bake Off, and have loved seeing it rise and rise like a pair of yeasted Latvian baps.
“We’re not going with the dough. We wish all the future bakers every success.”
On Monday, the BBC said it wanted to keep Bake Off, but had been unable to afford it.
The amount it offered Love Productions – an independent production company that makes the programme for the BBC – was £10 million a year less than what Channel 4 offered.
Perkins had hinted she was unhappy with he announcement on Monday night when she re-tweeted the official statement from the BBC.
The pair have become intertwined with the programme’s success due to their use of double entendres when describing the bakers’ tasks and results.
They have previously worked on Channel 4 having started out on TV on C4’s comedy talk show, Light Lunch, between 1997 and 1998.
But both have since worked separately on several BBC programmes since Bake Off became a success.